click any image to shop the item directly!
Today we are closing out the week with something a little bit different, I’m sharing this NYE GLAM outfit and my New Years resolutions. It’s been a while since I have gotten personal with y’all here, so I thought what better way to end 2016? First up – I think this outfit speaks for itself! Who doesn’t like to add a little bit of glam to their New Years Eve? This metallic romper is a tad bit out of my comfort zone, but y’all know I love to challenge myself when it comes to fashion! So, to play it safe, I went ahead and added this chevron fringe jacket for texture and warmth. For those of you in colder climates, just add tights and booties and you’re good to go!
Now onto the good stuff…
The holidays are always a time of reflection for me. As I look back on 2016, I’m left a little broken and confused. It truly was a year of trial and error, loss and heartache. So needless to say, I’m really going into the start of 2017 with an open mindset and believing it to be one of my best years yet! With that comes hope, patience and grace – all words that I will keep in the forefront of my mind as I begin yet another year, stronger than I had left it.
START. In 2017 I want to start…
– allowing myself to unplug. While I haven’t been blogging as long as many, the last 3.5 years have flown by right before my eyes. I’ll be the first to admit that when I started out in this industry, I struggled with being able to put my phone down and enjoy quality time with friends and family. There’s a constant need to be relevant on social media, respond to brands/ peers in a timely manner, and stay active with my readers – it’s all very overwhelming. It took a toll on my relationships and friendships in the early months, and while I have made significant changes over the last year, I continue to find myself struggling to find the balance between work life/ personal life. I’m getting older, and truly value the precious time I have with the people I care about, and don’t ever want to look back on life and wonder where the time went because I was too busy posting to social media! Time is precious and valuable, something we’ll never get back. So this year I plan to start unplugging my devices every few weeks and be actively engaged in my friends, family and pups – to allow myself to rest and recharge!
– getting more involved. In 2013 I left a city that I loved and people that I adored, to move to Texas. I was involved in my church, actively engaged in the community, loved my fitness routine, and most importantly, surrounded myself with positive and beautiful souls! I miss that – that connection, that sense of belonging. Charlotte had become home to me and after 3 years of being a Texan, I still haven’t found it here. Partially because I honestly believe that it gets harder to meet people when you’re over 30, and because 2016 was the year I crashed and burned. This past year I DID put myself out there, personally and professionally, and was often left broken hearted. I’m the type of person that gives and gives, and continues to give until she can’t give anymore, then musters up enough strength to give just a little bit longer… to invest in people and those friendships/ relationships. I’m genuine, honest and wear my heart on my sleeve. I believe people are trustworthy and have good intentions, and 2016 was the year I found myself constantly asking “WHY?” I walked away from friendships of 10+ years, those people who disappeared when times got tough, and acquaintances who took advantage of my hard work ethic, leaving me with one question. “WHY?” – Why put myself out there if people will take advantage of me? Why invest in friendships that aren’t real? Why give, when all some people want to do is take? And while I still struggle with finding the reason behind this – side note: if you happen to know the answers to these questions, please let me know! – 2017 will be the year I try again!
STOP. In 2017 I want to stop…
– feeling that my life needs to perfectly fit in a 9-box grid of Instagram. In layman’s terms, I want to get a little more personal and REAL. My life isn’t glamorous. Right now I’m still in my sweatty workout clothes from this morning’s gym session, crammed into the corner of my bedroom office, covered in dust and dog hair as the pups are begging to go outside for their afternoon walk. That constant need of perfection, and comparing myself and MY journey to others, has got to stop. I read a quote the other day that felt so fitting for this resolution, “every next level of your life will demand a different version of you. Be ready and preapred for 2017!” I plan to do just that.
CONTINUE. In 2017 I want to continue…
– developing my brand. In the last 4 months I feel like I finally just reached the cusp of achieving what I set out to do with The Styled Fox. I’m investing in quality photography, working to create great content that I enjoy and my readers are asking for, as well as developing partnerships with brands I’ve admired for years! I am believing that 2017 will allow me the chance to continue those, as well as give me the opportunity to work in new beauty, travel and home content. I truly hope you stick around for the ride!
– to do what makes me happy. Whether that means being cuddled up on a Friday night with a pint of ice cream and Gilmore Girls reruns, cramming in an extra workout for the week, or splurging on a designer handbag, I want to continue to take care of my mind, body and soul. I spent a lot of 2016 being sick, which is typically the aftermath of constantly being on the go. While I have learned to say “NO” recently, I don’t use it quite enough! So let this year be one of great health, positivity, and even better memories!
Thank YOU for being a part of my 2016 friends! I hope you have a safe and happy time ringing in the New Year!
PHOTO CREDIT: EGIDIO NARVAEZ