Creating the perfect messy top knot is super easy, even for a beginner
Let me start by say that I am by no means an ‘expert’ when it comes to hair and make-up. Personally, I prefer a very low-key and natural look. A look that can easily be transitioned from day to night with a simple addition of a bold lip or eyeliner. After 6+ years of working at Abercrombie & Fitch (back when it was uber cool…), I learned that less is more, and that motto has stuck with me over the years. Don’t get me wrong, I adore getting dolled up and will jump at the chance to have my hair and make-up professionally done. Who wouldn’t? However, let’s be honest. That isn’t real life! Therefore, here’s an easy tutorial for creating an effortless messy top knot, which just happens to be my go-to hairstyle of choice for summer.
Start with the right tools
Prep & Prime with great products.
one | Hairburst adds vitamins and nutrients to grow stronger, longer hair.
two | ShampYou is personalized salon-quality shampoo with a variety of superblends for your every need.
three | volume + texture: Batiste / Thickening Tonic / Hair Potion / Surf Spray / Thickening Mousse
four | Kenra volume spray for the finishing touch!
Follow these 6 easy steps for the perfect messy top knot!
Viola! A perfectly chic top knot!
Here’s a few tips I’ve learned along the way to give your messy top knot instant volume!
- Invest in great products. Two products that I’m currently loving are from ShampYou and Hairburst. ShampYou’s shampoo and conditoner allows me to cater to my thin hair, while leaving my locks soft and smelling fresh! However, if you’re in the market to give your hair some life and vitality, Hairburst is the way to go!
- Blow dry your hair upside down and in the opposite direction of your part.
- Keep your products lightweight. While this will involve a little bit of trial and error, it’s so worth the effort! Heavy and thick products will ultimately weigh your hair down over time and you’ll loose volume.
- A texture spray, whether its dry shampoo or a sea salt, makes it easier to curl and hold curl over time.
- Even when part of my hair is up, like in a messy top knot, I still opt to curl all sections to ensure there’s added volume up top!
I hope this tutorial is super helpful the next time you want to create a messy top knot. I can’t wait to see your versions on social media, so be sure to tag me in your photos! Thank you to ShampYou, Hairburst and t3 Micro for giving me the tools to create this awesome how-to for you. Snag some of their great prodcuts to create an easy summer hairstyle.
SHOP THE POST, STYLING TOOLS:
SHOP THE POST, PREP & PRIME: